Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HDHP Insurance as a secondary insurance

If my wife's employer offers a non-HDHP insurance, and my employer offers HDHP. Can my wife use my employer's insurance as a secondary coverage?

I looked up existing topics and found the answer for the other way round, where primary insurance is HDHP and secondary is non-HDHP. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/can-one-combine-primary-individu...

In that case, it is allowed, but primary insurance person can't contribute to HSA account.

However, my case is the case where primary insurance for my wife is non-HDHP, and her secondary is HDHP (through me). Is this allowed? if yes, can I continue to contribute the full $7200 to my HSA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are covered by a family HDHP and nothing else, you are eligible to contribute up to $7200 to an HSA.  The fact that your spouse is secondary on your HDHP policy does not disqualify you.  But you need to make sure that you have absolutely no coverage from your spouse's employer, and that includes FSAs and HRAs. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are covered by a family HDHP and nothing else, you are eligible to contribute up to $7200 to an HSA.  The fact that your spouse is secondary on your HDHP policy does not disqualify you.  But you need to make sure that you have absolutely no coverage from your spouse's employer, and that includes FSAs and HRAs. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies