turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Have no taxable income. live on ssd, support my 2 grandchildren. can i filefor child credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Have no taxable income. live on ssd, support my 2 grandchildren. can i filefor child credit?

If you have no earned income from wages or from self-employment and only receive Social Security benefits reported on a SSA-1099 then you are not eligible for any tax credits based on earned income, such as EITC or Child Tax Credit.  There is no need to file a tax return if you only receive SS benefits.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you have no earned income from wages or from self-employment and only receive Social Security benefits reported on a SSA-1099 then you are not eligible for any tax credits based on earned income, such as EITC or Child Tax Credit.  There is no need to file a tax return if you only receive SS benefits.

Paulo127

I don't agree with above.   Even with no income, or only income from SS, you could be entitled to ACTC.  Just because the CTC and EIC don't benefit you because you have no earned income or your tax is zero, that does not prevent you from filing for a refundable credit via the ACTC.

Paulo127

I stand corrected.  Earned Income is a limiting factor on Schedule 8812 (ACTC), Line 6.

Do the children's parent live with you as well?  If not, are they providing any support?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies