turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gifted a car in 2014 used in my business, used the KBB for basis for depreciation. sold car in 2016 at a significant loss over the basis. Can I claim a loss on the sale?

I was gifted a car in 2014 used in my business from a great uncle who passed away, I used the KBB for basis for depreciation for the last couple years. Sold car in 2016 at a significant loss over the basis. Can I claim a loss on the sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Gifted a car in 2014 used in my business, used the KBB for basis for depreciation. sold car in 2016 at a significant loss over the basis. Can I claim a loss on the sale?

Assuming you didn't just trade the car in, the answer is yes.  However, did you really have a loss? 

• Your loss would be sales price minus cost.  Cost would be FMV at the time of death minus depreciation claimed in the two years you owned it.  Depreciation is claimed even if you used the mileage method.
  • Almost no car is 100% business use.  Any personal portion of the automobile would not be a deductible loss.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Assuming you didn't just trade the car in, the answer is yes.  However, did you really have a loss? 

• Your loss would be sales price minus cost.  Cost would be FMV at the time of death minus depreciation claimed in the two years you owned it.  Depreciation is claimed even if you used the mileage method.
  • Almost no car is 100% business use.  Any personal portion of the automobile would not be a deductible loss.

As a side note, TurboTax does not do these calculations well, so you will usually need to manually do a bunch of calculations.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies