turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Report taxes paid on purchase of new car

I cannot find where I submit the sales tax for a new car.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KaitlynW

Generally, the tax paid on purchase is a sales tax and may be deductible under some circumstances.  You can deduct sales tax on a new or used purchased or leased vehicle or boat but, if you live in a state with a state income tax, it probably isn't to your advantage to do so.  To claim sales taxes on a vehicle or boat you need to meet two criteria.  You must itemize deductions, and your sales tax deduction, including the sales tax on the vehicle must exceed your state income tax.

Realistically, in most states with a state income tax, the state income taxes would be higher than the state sales taxes, even with sales tax on a car added.

If you claim the standard deduction, you cannot deduct sales taxes.

The deduction for sales tax is under the deductions and credits tab.  Go to:
Deductions and Credits

• Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Sales Tax.
  • Click Update next to Sales Tax.
  • Click Continue.
  • Select Easy Guide
  • Click Edit next to your sales tax rate.
  • Click Continue twice and you will then be on the page where you enter your car or other major purchases.

Note:  for an auto, the tax rate doesn't need to be the same as the general tax rate.  For a boat, it does.

A personal property tax is an annual tax based on the car's value.  It might be paid on purchase, or (as in South Carolina) it may be billed annually by your county.

Understand because I am taking the standard deduction, I cannot deduct the sales tax.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

It is true that you could not deduct the sales tax on the federal return if you take the standard deduction. However, state laws vary a lot, and there are states that allow you to itemize on the state return even if you took the standard deduction on the federal return. This is why we often encourage taxpayers to enter their itemized deductions, because if they can be used at the state level, then TurboTax transfers the amounts from the federal return.

What state are you in?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies