Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8889t, During the check an error occurs saying, "I'm a dependent so I can't be self", but I need to record my overage. How do I get past this loop?

form 8889t line 12 wks, I joined acompany for just a few months.  However, I'm still considered a dependent on my parents return.  The company paid into my hsa, so I feel like I need to compete 8889T to let the IRS know that I overpaid an hsa and I have withdrawn this excess.  Now the problem, I can't get past the loop of selecting self or family on question #1, because at the time my insurance was covered by me (self).  But then during the check an error occurs saying, "I'm a dependent so I can't be self"  so I leave it blank and then I can't get out of the form because I have a dollar amount on it, that is later withdrawn.  Help, how do I get past this loop?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Form 8889t, During the check an error occurs saying, "I'm a dependent so I can't be self", but I need to record my overage. How do I get past this loop?

A taxpayer who is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return does not qualify for an HSA.

Therefore, you should answer that you did not have HDHP coverage at all ("none"). Any money contributed to the HSA will become an excess contribution and you should tell TurboTax that you will withdraw it before the due date of the return.

This is a common problem with young taxpayers who are still living at home while working at their first job - the HR department at the young taxpayer's new job didn't ask if the new employee was a dependent before signing them up for an HSA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies