turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign tax credit carry over sheet

We need to provide the carry over sheet for every category of the income "passive category" (interest & dividend) as well as the "General category"  (salary compensation). And then both non AMT and AMT versions of form 1116. But I am seeing that for 2022, Turbo tax is not asking for carry over for each category. I am given the opportunity to specify the carry over only once per 1116 type (non AMT and AMT). So I am either able to fill the information for "general category" or "passive category" but not both. Is this a bug in turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

Foreign tax credit carry over sheet

The program should be presenting the four foreign tax credit carryover screens (for regular, AMT, and the corresponding adjustments) on each trip through the Form 1116 interface (for a given category of income). For example, once you tell it about your general category income and proceed, you enter the carryover details (for just that category, even though those screens don’t specify “general category”), and the program uses them in the credit calculation and creates the new “general category” Schedule B (which replaced the old generic carryover worksheets) for next year’s carryover.

But I’m guessing that you already knew this (as it appears you’re well-versed in this topic), and that you’re actually seeing those screens when you do your first 1116, but not on your subsequent one for the passive income.

That's definitely an aberration (as the carryovers have always been handled separately, and TurboTax configured accordingly). Hopefully it was a temporary one, and you’ve moved on and filed (since it’s been a while since you posted). But if you’re still struggling with it (and haven’t done this yet), deleting all your foreign tax credit info and re-entering (making sure to do general category first, then passive) would be the first thing to try.

Also, years ago it was necessary to leave your passive foreign info — from 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, etc. — out of your return while you prepared the general category form. I believe this is no longer necessary, but might be something to try when experiencing an issue like this. (You don’t have to actually delete the 1099s — you can just temporarily remove the foreign tax entries, then replace them after the general category form is ready.)

If the problem persists, @MangoTango, please tell us what version of TurboTax you’re using. I’ll see if I can somehow replicate the issue...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies