turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion Extension

I filed for an extension so that I could claim the foreign earned income exclusion during the extended period.
In the interim, I paid taxes on my income earned abroad, as advised, and was told that it would be refunded.
However, I've gone through Turbo Tax, and while I've qualified for the FEIC, and it exempts my income, it doesn't show me being refunded my initial payment.
What should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since you paid the US taxes with the extension request, you will need to make sure those taxes paid have been entered on your tax return.  The TurboTax program would normally have entered the tax payment on your return if you used the TurboTax Easy Extension to electronically file the extension request, but if not you can enter the payments manually.

Payments made with an extension request will be shown on your Form 1040 on Line 70.  To view your Form 1040, click on My Account at the top of the program screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on View Tax Summary.  Click on Preview my 1040.  Scroll down the page to Line 70.  If not entered then follow this procedure -

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to federal extension payment

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you pay US taxes with the extension request, Form 4868?  Or if not with the extension request, how did you pay the US taxes, what Form was used?  Or are you referring to payment of Foreign Taxes to the country where you are employed?

They were US taxes, and I paid the IRS with my debit card. I don't recall what number the form was, but it was all done through TurboTax (it's wonderfully convenient but not really conducive to recalling form numbers.)

Were the US taxes paid at the time of the extension request or at a later date?

At the time of the extension request.

Since you paid the US taxes with the extension request, you will need to make sure those taxes paid have been entered on your tax return.  The TurboTax program would normally have entered the tax payment on your return if you used the TurboTax Easy Extension to electronically file the extension request, but if not you can enter the payments manually.

Payments made with an extension request will be shown on your Form 1040 on Line 70.  To view your Form 1040, click on My Account at the top of the program screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on View Tax Summary.  Click on Preview my 1040.  Scroll down the page to Line 70.  If not entered then follow this procedure -

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to federal extension payment

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies