turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign country inheritance property sale

I inherited a property in a foreign country, I am the sole heir and US citizen, and I am selling it. How come I do not owe any inheritance tax (total of assets will be less than USD 200 K, both cash and property proceeds), but at the same time I will be taxed capital gains tax on the property sale? There is no foreign trust or estate in the US sense of the notion and I live in TX. Please, advise. thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

You may not owe tax simply for becoming the owner of the property.  An inheritance is generally not taxable in the US either, except for certain things like retirement investment accounts, and inheritance tax really has nothing to do with income tax.  But, once you do something like sell an inherited asset, that generates taxable income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

You may not owe tax simply for becoming the owner of the property.  An inheritance is generally not taxable in the US either, except for certain things like retirement investment accounts, and inheritance tax really has nothing to do with income tax.  But, once you do something like sell an inherited asset, that generates taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies