Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chelsea22

Foreign bank account with less than $10,000 balance

So the same thing happened last year where I marked I have a foreign bank account, I was forced to upgrade to Deluxe to file appropriately, but then I didn't actually need to submit any extra forms because the amount in the account was less than $10,000. But I can't proceed further in submitting my taxes because the free edition doesn't cover Form 1040, which I need because I have a foreign account, but I also won't have to file anything extra or report the balance because its less than $10,000. Can someone explain this to me? Do I need Form 1040 if I'm not reporting the balance of the account and I didn't get any interest off it? It was frustrating last year paying for the Deluxe edition and then getting "we don't need to report this!" but I can't go back and undo the upgrade. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Yes, you still need to file a Form 1040 if you are not reporting any financial account or assets.  If you are referring to whether if you can file a Form 1040-EZ,  it is no longer available starting from last year the 2019 tax season where you file your 2018 tax return. 

If you do have any foreign accounts for more than $10,000, TurboTax will not upgrade you from the Free edition.  There must be other reasons why you are upgraded from the Free edition. Click here for more information: Deluxe edition

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same issue.

Spouse has a foreign account. I clicked "there is an active account" as you did. We use this bank account to pay a student loan in that country. No, we do not have any foreign income. The bank only exists to pay (auto-debit) a student loan that exist in that country.

We usually top off and replenish the account by a few hundred bucks so it never dries out from student loan payments.

IRS says you do not need report any income under 10k; which seems to be our case as we do not have any foreign income or interest. TurboTax is aware of it too ; because it asks the very same question during the process. Yet it choses to force one to upgrade. 

So what gives. TurboTax is being shady on this one? 

My spouse and I have income in the USA and nowhere else. But just because we indicated that we have a bank account abroad, it is forcing us to upgrade as well. 

If you are saying that TurboTax shouldn't, then there is a bug in the process? I guess. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I am sorry that you had this experience- it really is not meant to get extra money, but to make sure your taxes are filed correctly.  See Can I downgrade to a lower-priced version of Turbo ...

@shammu

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies