rosejclarke2014

For the past 3 years I have gotten a credit from the American Opportunity Credit and this year I am not offered the credit. I have done everything the as previous years.

HelenaC

Yes, the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) is available for four (4) years. Go back and check your 1098-T form. Form 1098-T should have a check mark in Box 8 "Check if at least half-time student". 

Per IRS Form 1098-T Instructions Box 8 is checked by the school administrator if at Least Half-Time Student:

• The student was at least a half-time student during any academic period that began in 2017.
  •  A half-time student is a student enrolled for at least half the full-time academic workload for the course of study the student is pursuing.
  • Your institution's standard for a half-time student work load must equal or exceed the standards established by the Department of Education under the Higher Education Act and set forth in 34 C.F.R. section 674.2(b).

However, keep in mind that there are other requirements to be eligible to claim the AOTC credit. For additional information, click on Who is eligible to take the American Opportunity Tax Credit?

You may be eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Click on  Who is eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit?

Also, see my answer regarding the AOT: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4203576

Related information: 

HelenaC

Related information: