turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the New York state return, under the 'NYC Homeowners and Renters Enhanced Real Property Tax Credit,' what does TT mean by "Select Both owned and rented..."?

The question asked by TT is 'Did you own or pay for your qualifying New York City residence during 2018?'

The choices are:
* Owned
* Rented
* Both owned and rented
* None of the above

I own my home (though I paid a mortgage) and lived there more than 6 months during 2018, and paid property tax. I paid no rent because I lived in my own home.

But TT shows the following note, which makes things REALLY confusing:

"Note: Select Both owned and rented only if you lived in the New York City residence that you rented for at least six months during 2018 or you lived in the New York City residence you owned for at least six months during 2018"

According to the note, what is the difference between the "Owned" option and the "Both owned and rented"?

As mentioned, I owned and did not rent - but I *did* "live in the NYC residence I owned for at least six months during 2018" - which would apparently make this option correct.

So - which option should I choose?

Note also that if I select "Both owned and rented" TT asks me to input the amount of rent I paid. As mentioned above, I did not pay rent since I owned the house.

Please clarify if you can.

P.S. the link to NYC-208-I is: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/nyc208i.pdf

Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

For the New York state return, under the 'NYC Homeowners and Renters Enhanced Real Property Tax Credit,' what does TT mean by "Select Both owned and rented..."?

Owned and rented simply means you owned a home for some part of the year and ALSO rented some other place for the remainder of the year ... so you say you owned your home for 6 months.  What did you do for the other 6 months ?   Did you own something else or  pay rent ?  

HI Critter, thanks for your response and question.

I owned the home and lived there for all of 2018.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You select "Owned."

(The note that is confusing you is related to the question on line 2 of Form NYC-208: "Did you occupy the same residence for at least six months during 2018?" But don't worry about it. Just select "Owned.")

Thank you rjs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies