turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married with foreign wife (F1 student) in 2017. I need to apply for ITIN along with my tax return but her name on passport is not updated yet

I am a permanent resident and married with non-resident wife (F1 student, not eligible to apply SSN) in 2017. I think we need to apply ITIN along with my tax application (married joint) and i think we need to attach her passport for this application. But she changed last name to my last name through our marriage, but her passport name has not been changed yet, and this name changing process will take long time and could miss mid April. What is the best way for this situation? 

Should I submit tax return and apply ITIN with her maiden name? or do we need to have an updated passport then apply for ITIN for this tax return process?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Married with foreign wife (F1 student) in 2017. I need to apply for ITIN along with my tax return but her name on passport is not updated yet

First, you need to apply for an extension to file your tax return. When the extension is approved, understand that does NOT extend your deadline to pay any 2017 tax liability that may be due. It only extends your time to file the return until Oct, 2018.

Next, get the passport updated, then apply for the ITIN. With the tax filing extension, you should have plenty of time if you don't waste the time and get on this now.

Thanks fo quick reply, i will do that
Carl
Level 15

BTW - Since the IRS doesn't open e-filing until Jan 29th, you may not be able to file the extension until then. But that should be okay. Just don't forget to file it, is all.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies