Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RckSlde

Family is covered with wife's HDHP w/ HSA. I have a FSA. Can I pay for wife and dependents expenses with FSA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Family is covered with wife's HDHP w/ HSA. I have a FSA. Can I pay for wife and dependents expenses with FSA?

If your employer allows it, yes.

However, if you employer allows it, your spouse is NOT eligible for contributions to her HSA, even if you choose NOT to use the FSA on her or the dependents.  If it is "allowed", she is covered by "other insurance", which disqualifies contributions to the HSA.  The exception for that is if the FSA is a "limited" FSA that can only be used for things like dental and vision expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If your employer allows it, yes.

However, if you employer allows it, your spouse is NOT eligible for contributions to her HSA, even if you choose NOT to use the FSA on her or the dependents.  If it is "allowed", she is covered by "other insurance", which disqualifies contributions to the HSA.  The exception for that is if the FSA is a "limited" FSA that can only be used for things like dental and vision expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies