turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iliasxh

How do I partially account for foreign income exclusion (FIE) using the same W2 that reports both my foreign earned and US earned income? Thank you.

I qualify for foreign income exclusion through the physical presence test as I was living outside of the USA from 07 July 2006 to 19 January 2016, making me partially excluded from foreign earned income for 19 days in 2016 (Jan 1-19). Foreign income exclusion was claimed through the physical presence test for previous tax years (2007 to 2015). My employer also has confirmed the above through a foreign earned income statement. 

The issue is that TurboTax does not seem to allow me to use the existing W2 (same employer) which also accounts for the foreign income exclusion. Creating a new W2 resulted in double counting. Please advise. Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I partially account for foreign income exclusion (FIE) using the same W2 that reports both my foreign earned and US earned income? Thank you.

Enter the W-2 information as usual, then you will continue to the page "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?"  Choose Worked outside the U.S.  Go to Personal > Personal Income > I'll choose what I work on > Less Common Income > Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion to the page called "Confirm Your Foreign Wages Already Entered."  The amount of your W-2 wages is listed.  You can enter a negative amount in the Wages Adjustment box for the wages earned in the U.S.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies