Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Earned Income Credit

What counts as earned income? If I don't have any traditional income, but I make $100 babysitting or something similar to that would I be able to claim the credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Earned income is money you work for, as opposed to passive income like interest and dividends. Income from a business like babysitting would qualify as earned income.

For further information please see the TurboTax website: What is earned income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The earned income credit you  can get is based upon the amount of income you earn.  Your EIC for earning $100 would be quite small, even if you qualify for EIC.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Kvam2554

I didn’t receive any earned income credit, how can I amend this, so I receive the credit

Kvam2554

Will some reply to me?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

If you earned $100 for babysitting, then you will not get any earned income credit. The amount you earned is not enough to meet the qualification requirements for earned income credit.

@Kvam2554 Read through this whole thread.  There are already links to the earned income qualifications and to the IRS tool which you can use to to see if you could get EIC.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jimmy75
Returning Member

I am less then $200 dollars over to receive EIC I have 2 kids is there a way to decrease my income by 200 to get the credit?    

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No there is no way to reduce your earned income, especially for the purpose of getting a tax credit.

@jimmy75

shepba

I already filed on Turbotax but I didnt click onto EIC. Will I still get it if I qualify?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes. When you enter your information, TurboTax automatically calculates the Earned Income Credit if you are eligible. The reason is that the IRS will either send you a note that you are eligible for the EIC for you to calculate it or will automatically calculate it for you and apply it to your return if you are eligible.  

@shepba wrote:

I already filed on Turbotax but I didnt click onto EIC. Will I still get it if I qualify?

If you were eligible for the EIC then the credit would be calculated automatically and entered on your tax return.  If you are receiving a tax refund the credit would be included in the refund or if you have taxes owed the credit would have reduced the amount of the taxes owed.

Look at your federal tax return Form 1040 on Line 18a.  If there is an amount entered then you received the EIC.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return

how do i submit the earned income credit form

Hal_Al
Level 15

@dinodon143  - You don't submit an EIC form.  You enter your info and TurboTax (TT) automatically calculates the EIC for you.  Your EIC amount goes on line 18a of form 1040.  If you have kids, TT  also prepares schedule EIC,

If you think TT missed it,  In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-You and your family

--Earned Income Credit

TuboTax Is Wrong re Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

TuboTax 2019 Home & Business downloadable PC software’s pop up “On Demand Tax Guidance” incorrectly states:

If you do not have a qualifying child, you (and your spouse if filing a joint return):

- Must be at least 25 years old and under age 65 at the end of the tax year

Here is the correct statement from the IRS

You (or your spouse if filing a joint return) must have been at least 25 but under 65 years old at the end of the tax year.

The difference: “or your spouse” not “and your spouse”

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/do-i-qualify-for-earned-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies