turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Due to the 2018 federal deduction limit of $10,000 on property taxes, can I capitalize the excess? That way, my tax cost basis would go up leading to lower capital gains.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Due to the 2018 federal deduction limit of $10,000 on property taxes, can I capitalize the excess? That way, my tax cost basis would go up leading to lower capital gains.

No, the excess cannot be carried forward. This type of deduction is not eligible for capitalization.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you could do that it would be all over the newspapers and magazines in the section called "Tax filing Tips".
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

No, the excess cannot be carried forward. This type of deduction is not eligible for capitalization.

What is the pertinent section of the tax code?
DanaL

Yes, you can capitalize property taxes and insurance on the property, but there is a limitation on this.  See IRS Reg. Section 1.266-1(b)(1)(i).  If the property is not improved upon, you can elect capitalizing property taxes as carrying costs.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies