turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jfortin1

Donated oak furniture in excellent condition worth more then shows how do I raise price?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Donated oak furniture in excellent condition worth more then shows how do I raise price?

You have to create a custom listing, you can't raise the value of the default listings (they are national averages and may not always be appropriate).  In addition to a receipt from the charity, you are required to have documentation that includes the date you acquired the items, how acquired, the value when acquired, and how you determined the fair market value at the time of the donation.

If this was furniture you made as part of a business, you can only deduct the cost of materials, you can't deduct anything for your labor.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Donated to a charity? What did they sell it for?

You have to create a custom listing, you can't raise the value of the default listings (they are national averages and may not always be appropriate).  In addition to a receipt from the charity, you are required to have documentation that includes the date you acquired the items, how acquired, the value when acquired, and how you determined the fair market value at the time of the donation.

If this was furniture you made as part of a business, you can only deduct the cost of materials, you can't deduct anything for your labor.

That's why the furniture industry has been developing in recent years as follows, why take into account a person's time and effort to create something.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies