sterling-poni

Doing my 2019 taxes, I was asked this time about my 1098-t which led to the American Opportunity Credit. Curious why this was not brought up on my 2018 tax return?

GiseleD

You may have provided information/answers that made you ineligible for the America Opportunity Tax credit (AOTC). Here are the AOTC requirements:

The student must be the taxpayer, spouse, or a dependent claimed by the taxpayer. The student must meet all the following requirements to be eligible.

• The student has not already claimed the American Opportunity Credit in at least four prior tax years.

• The student had not completed the first four years of postsecondary undergraduate education before the tax year as determined by the educational institution.

• For at least one academic period beginning during the tax year, the student was enrolled at least half time in a program leading to a degree, certificate, or other recognized educational credential.

• The student had no federal or state felony conviction for possessing or distributing a controlled substance as of the end of the tax year.