Does a closing of a house on 1/4/2021 count toward...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mackiecook13

Does a closing of a house on 1/4/2021 count towards 2020 or 2021 taxes? I know the cutoff for the stimulus check is 1/15/2021 so was wondering if it was the same idea.

2 Replies
Miss MCJ2
Level 3

Does a closing of a house on 1/4/2021 count towards 2020 or 2021 taxes? I know the cutoff for the stimulus check is 1/15/2021 so was wondering if it was the same idea.

It will be reported on the 2021 tax return.  The stimulus check cutoff is a special effort to try to get as many checks paid out before people start to file the 2020 taxes.

xmasbaby0
Level 15

Not sure what you are trying or hoping to enter in regard to closing on a house.  Buying a house in itself is not something to report on a tax return.  What you enter about home ownership---for the tax year in which you ARE a homeowner-- is mortgage interest paid, property tax paid, private mortgage insurance paid, and loan origination fees ("points").    At the end of a tax year in which you have owned a home, you get a document called a 1098 from the lender that you use on your tax return if you are itemizing deductions.  

But since you say you are buying /selling a house in 2021, you have nothing about that to enter on a 2020 tax return.  Wait for next year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings