turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chelynnea

Do we get a tax credit for home improvements such as, replacing siding and finishing our basement? I'm aware of the energy efficient tax credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Do we get a tax credit for home improvements such as, replacing siding and finishing our basement? I'm aware of the energy efficient tax credit

No, home improvements on a personal residence are not deductible (you already know about the energy credits).

However, keep track of the cost of these improvements and you can add them to your "basis" (your total investment) in the home, which will reduce any gain when you eventually sell it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

No, home improvements on a personal residence are not deductible (you already know about the energy credits).

However, keep track of the cost of these improvements and you can add them to your "basis" (your total investment) in the home, which will reduce any gain when you eventually sell it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies