turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EK1

Do unmarried co-owners of a home need to take house-related deductions in porportion to payments actually made?

My partner and I purchased a home together in 2016, we are both on the mortgage, and both listed on the 1098 (though I'm listed first).  My question goes to allocation of the house-related deduction (interest, PMI, taxes).   We pay via a shared account, some months 50/50, some months differently based on other expenses that come up for maintenance, etc. and who pays for those expenses.   Should we stick to the 50/50 allocation of the deductions, or actually add up the amounts each contributed for the year, and get a ratio? It seems like 50/50 would be the most straight forward. 

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Do unmarried co-owners of a home need to take house-related deductions in porportion to payments actually made?

Both methods are fine. In general, you should divide your expenses based on who paid them; but since they are deducted form a joint account, you can divide them 50/50.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Both methods are fine. In general, you should divide your expenses based on who paid them; but since they are deducted form a joint account, you can divide them 50/50.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies