coltmeraw

Do my personal property taxes paid on automobiles go under the car registration fees or personal property taxes section? I thought personal property taxes, but automobile isn't in the example.

Personal property taxes is listed as "uncommon", but I tend to think personal property taxes on cars is very common.

jerry2000
Alumni

Turbotax wants it to go under the car registration fees because in many states a portion of the registration fee is a personal property tax. It is not billed separately to the owner as would be a personal property tax on a boat or an airplane. It really doesn't matter where you put it because it ends up on the same line of your Schedule A regardless of where you enter it.

jerry2000
Alumni