shawnapatrick

Do I still get child tax credit (or any federal refund,)for my dependent child if im on ssi disability? Also,for state,can I still get renters credit?

jerry2000
Alumni

If SSI or SSDI is your only income, then you owe not tax, are not required to file and there would be no tax benefit in doing so. To get the Child Tax Credit you have to owe tax. To get the Additional Child Tax Credit, you have to have earned income.
If you state has a non-refundable renters credit, that can only be used to off set state tax. If you owe no tax, there is no credit.

jerry2000
Alumni

jerry2000
Alumni

shawnapatrick

Only other income is my grandson (in my name) receives cashaid and foodstamps,does that make a difference ?
jerry2000
Alumni

No, that doesn't make a differenct.
shawnapatrick

Ok,just confused cause I  have heard of others on public assistance , (welfare,not ssi) ,getting a return?
jerry2000
Alumni

No if your only income is public assistance, there is no Federal or State tax refund.
Iris39

If you live in Minnesota, there is a renter's credit available.  The form (M1PR) is separate from the regular state form (M1) & you could qualify with public assistance funds that might be your only income.  The form compares your "household income", whether taxable or not, to the rent you paid, & it could be possible to receive a rent refund from the state of MN.