turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ed_duncan

Do i need to file federal and state (KY) tax return, if my only income was SSA, but sold a home in 2018, I had lived in over 2 yrs, sold no other home and netted $108K?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do i need to file federal and state (KY) tax return, if my only income was SSA, but sold a home in 2018, I had lived in over 2 yrs, sold no other home and netted $108K?

Yes, you need to file a federal and state income tax return to report the sale of your home.

Even though you appear to qualify for the home sale exclusion from capital gains, you should still report the home sale on your tax return. The IRS will receive a copy of tax form 1099-S showing the profits from the sale and you need to complete the tax return to prove the cost basis and exclusion.

For more information, follow this link: Home Sale Exclusion

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you need to file a federal and state income tax return to report the sale of your home.

Even though you appear to qualify for the home sale exclusion from capital gains, you should still report the home sale on your tax return. The IRS will receive a copy of tax form 1099-S showing the profits from the sale and you need to complete the tax return to prove the cost basis and exclusion.

For more information, follow this link: Home Sale Exclusion

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies