turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do charitable contribution carryovers carryover to the following year automatically or to the next time you itemize?

If I have a carryover of $10,000 but will take the standard deduction in 2018 can I carryover that $10,000 until 2019 when I know I will itemize?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do charitable contribution carryovers carryover to the following year automatically or to the next time you itemize?

Believe it or not even the IRS pub 526 doesn't address this issue ... but my opinion is you will lose the carryovers ...

Additional rules for carryovers. 

Special rules exist for computing carryovers if you: Are married in some years but not others, Have different spouses in different years, Change from a separate return to a joint return in a later year, Change from a joint return to a separate return in a later year, Have a net operating loss, Claim the standard deduction in a carryover year, or Become a widow or widower. Because of their complexity and the limited number of taxpayers to whom these additional rules apply, they aren't discussed in this publication. If you need to figure a carryover and you are in one of these situations, you may want to consult with a tax practitioner. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies