Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vauciello

Do capital gains from the sale of the property qualify as "payments made during the ordinary course of business operations" in the State of Ohio?

I sold my rental property in Ohio, where I live.  Do I pay taxes on the capital gains or do they qualify within the small business tax exclusion?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Do capital gains from the sale of the property qualify as "payments made during the ordinary course of business operations" in the State of Ohio?

The capital gains from the sale would fall within the small business income exclusion.

Gains or losses reported must be those that are generated in the ordinary course of business, from assets integral to the taxpayer’s business operation, or from working capital and reinvested into the business. Rental property itself is very much integral to the business of real estate rentals.  Therefore the gain would qualify.  

Gains or losses, from a partial or complete liquidation of a business, including, but not limited to, gain or loss from the sale or other disposition of goodwill should also be included as an exclusion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AlanT
Expert Alumni

The capital gains from the sale would fall within the small business income exclusion.

Gains or losses reported must be those that are generated in the ordinary course of business, from assets integral to the taxpayer’s business operation, or from working capital and reinvested into the business. Rental property itself is very much integral to the business of real estate rentals.  Therefore the gain would qualify.  

Gains or losses, from a partial or complete liquidation of a business, including, but not limited to, gain or loss from the sale or other disposition of goodwill should also be included as an exclusion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies