turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Didn't use time share in 2020 but rented it out for the week. Received a 1099-NEC for the rental amount which was more than my yearly maintenence fee. Can I deduct my maintenence fee (lower the impact of the 1099NEC)? If so, where would I enter it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Didn't use time share in 2020 but rented it out for the week. Received a 1099-NEC for the rental amount which was more than my yearly maintenence fee. Can I deduct my maintenence fee (lower the impact of the 1099NEC)? If so, where would I enter it?

There's a special rule if you use a dwelling unit as a residence and rent it for fewer than 15 days. In this case, don't report any of the rental income and don't deduct any expenses as rental expenses.

You can ignore the form 1099-NEC and not report it on your tax return. Just keep it in your tax records for at least three years.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

There's a special rule if you use a dwelling unit as a residence and rent it for fewer than 15 days. In this case, don't report any of the rental income and don't deduct any expenses as rental expenses.

You can ignore the form 1099-NEC and not report it on your tax return. Just keep it in your tax records for at least three years.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info.  Saved me a lot of research and was very timely.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies