turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stuck on form 8889-t - i don't think i had this at all - can i delete entry ? Need help.....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Stuck on form 8889-t - i don't think i had this at all - can i delete entry ? Need help.....

Did you have an HSA (Health Savings Account)? If you have a code W in box 12 of your W-2, then your employer thinks you had an HSA. 

Did you have HDHP coverage (High Deductible Health Plan)? Your employer can tell you if you did.

Did you receive a form 1099-SA or a 5498-SA in the mail? These are also signs that you have an HSA.

If you had an HSA in 2017, then you need to complete the HSA interview, at Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA MSA Contributions. Be sure to go all the way to the end, until you are returned to the Deductions & Credits menu labeled "Your Tax Breaks".

If none of the things above apply to you, then you likely answered a question in such a way as to make TurboTax think that you had an HSA (and thus triggered the 8889) when you don't.

To fix this, please do the following:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

Continue with your return. If you see the question, "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [name] have on December 1, 2016?", be sure to answer "NONE".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies