If you qualify to be a dependent, it is not up to you.
Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.
Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year
You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet all of the following requirements :
- You provided more than half of their financial support. More info
- They made less than $4,200 in gross income during 2019 unless they are a qualifying child.
- They live with you or they are related to you. (Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501.)
- They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
- They aren't (or won't be) claimed as a dependent by someone else.
- They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
- You are not being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.
Then you need to file and claim yourself independent. The IRS will see that there are two returns using your social security number and delve into the matter. If they are not entitled to claim you, they will owe the money back to the IRS. If they already filed then you will have to mail your return.
I assume you don't file.
go here and enter your information.
go to www.irs.gov and click the button for non-filers. Check the “box” if someone can claim you as a dependent or your spouse as a dependent.
In your case, don't check the “box”
You will receive an e-mail from Customer Service at Free File Fillable Forms that either acknowledges you have successfully submitted your information, or that tells you there is a problem and how to correct it.