turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent Care FSA and Child & Dependent Care Credit Confusion

I had dependent care FSA from my employer and also payed out of pocket for my child daycare.

My total contribution for dependent FSA was $1200. And total expenses for daycare was, $3450.

Now, I don't know if I qualify for Child & Dependent Care Credit in TurboTax. Also, how much amount should I enter there? ($3450-$1200) ?

Is it common to have both dependent care FSA and child care credit.

Regards,

Kamal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You should enter the total amount you paid for child care, $3.450.  Yes, it is pretty common to have both dependent care and child care credit.

The maximum "qualifying child care expenses" allowed for the Child and Dependent Care Credit is $3,000 for one child, or $6,000 for 2 or more children.

If you contributed $1,200 to a FSA, and have 1 Child, your Dependent Care Credit will be calculated on $1,800 [$3,000 - $1,200 = $1,800] 

If you have 2 or more children, and contributed $1,200 to a FSA, you can take the Child and Dependent Care Credit on expenses of $2,250  [$3,450 - $1,200 = $2,250]

See the TurboTax FAQ for more details about getting the Child Care Credit below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4395614

Where do I enter the FSA contribution of $1200. I didn't see it mention anywhere and I was afraid that I might be using double credit due to this. I see the FSA in my W2, but not mentioned in box 14.

Okay, I think Turbotax imported the $1200 amount as it figured out the $1800 and mentioned that my contribution based on employment was $1200. Although, it might be good to verify that figure somewhere else in the taxes.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, TurboTax automatically pulls the $1,200 from your W2 and puts it on Form 2441.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies