turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet

With the help of a real good TT employee on the phone, I found a workaround.

In "Forms," find the "Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet." 

Scroll down to the Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet."

If field A 1 is blank, right click it, and select "Override", then write in the total of mortgage interest paid, from all 1098 forms.

Once field A 1 has the total of mortgage interest paid, copy that amount.

If field A 2 is blank, right click it, and select "Override", then AGAIN  write in the total of mortgage interest paid, from all 1098 forms.

That should fix it!

liudan30

I have exactly same issue, and none of the solution above works for me.

I'm so sorry to hear that. The employee recognized that it was a bug, and I (kinda) trust that they will fix it soon...

Turbo Tax has a bug and needs to fix it with regards to the Mortgage Interest Deduction.  We're supposed to get the question asking if the loan has been sold and it's not coming up for 2019.  I'm guessing this error has to do with the new law changes.  Regardless, we should not have to add up all 3 1098s and enter as one, especially if the 1098s are from different lenders.  That is not how it will be reported to the IRS.  I would think this would cause a red flag on the tax return.  I paid for this tax software and I expect it to work properly.  Turbo Tax NEEDS TO FIX THEIR ERROR....

Pyrarraz, can you identify what TurboTax product you are using, i.e. Online, Online Premium, Desktop?

"With the help of a real good TT employee on the phone, I found a workaround.

In "Forms," find the "Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet." 

Scroll down to the Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet."

If field A 1 is blank, right click it, and select "Override", then write in the total of mortgage interest paid, from all 1098 forms.

Once field A 1 has the total of mortgage interest paid, copy that amount.

If field A 2 is blank, right click it, and select "Override", then AGAIN  write in the total of mortgage interest paid, from all 1098 forms.

That should fix it!"

Veroweb01, completely agree.  This is total BS.  On the phone for an hour with a live agent and got nowhere.

I have the same issue, none of the solutions listed here work for me.  I have spent over 2 hours chatting with turbotax 'experts' in two separate occasions but they are unable to find a solution.  How is this acceptable for TurboTax? Refinancing must be one of the most basic situations the software should be able to handle. 

This is definitely as issue. I have the desktop program and have sent my tax file to TT as requested. I have not received any kind of response from TT.  There have been 2 work-arounds suggested by other users. 

The first is to go into the actual form/worksheet and check the “No” box.  (there was a post stating this solution would invalidate any audit guarantee from TT)

The second is to answer the tax limitation question “No”, do not click continue, save the return, back out of the program, reopen the program and manually continue your return at the next step.

I have actually tried both solutions and both cleared all the error checks and were deemed ready to efile. I have successfully efiled using the second work around. My return has been accepted and approved by the IRS and state.
TT definitely needs to fix this problem. I don’t pay for tax software to have it calculate my taxes incorrectly. In my case, the error causes a taxes due amount of over $2500 vs a refund of over $500. Its unacceptable. It is doubly irritating to have TT repeated say “there is no bug”. I guess People can’t rely on TT to “Get your maximum refund, guaranteed”.

I talked to a TT expert last Tuesday and she agreed that the program needs to be fixed.  She called me back and told me to wait until next week to see if the fix has been updated.  I'm not a tax expert, but I would not add up all the 1098s.  (The expert said it w/b ok if they're all from the same lender, but I would wait to do it properly so you have the correct calc worksheet back up.)  Just my personal opinion, but I've been using TT for a decade and have never had this problem. (For what it's worth, I have a degree in accounting and have passed the CPA exam.)  I'm holding out for the fix...fingers crossed.

Thanks for the letting me know TT called you back. I don’t want to trigger an audit by entering my 1098s differently than the document the IRS receives. 

I just got a reply back from TT saying that they couldn't pinpoint any issue and said the program was "working correctly," so it would be nice if they could get their story straight.  I'll wait for this week's update, but if there's no progress, I'm done with TT.

This was an issue in the 2018 version as well. We just caught it and now have to refile that years return. Turbo Tax obviously isn't fixing this bug.

If this doesn’t get corrected I’m done using TT. 
I don’t understand how they can’t pinpoint any issue when do many users are reporting a problem. 

I am having the same issue.

The question about the loan being sold is only asked on the first 1098 that is entered, not on subsequent ones. So the total from the lender that the loan was sold to is also getting added as being borrowed in 2019. This is definitely a bug in Turbo Tax. If this bug does not get fixed, I may have to go to a CPA (after 15 years of using Turbo Tax).

jmcglass

I am having the very same problem. I have deleted and re-entered the information from my 1098's and there is never a screen that asks if the home was sold. Please advise. thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies