turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SGlobo

COVID deduction from 2019 taxes

Any updated guidance on claiming COVID-related losses on 2019 taxes? Specifically related to Section 165i which allows taxpayers to claim losses attributed to federally declared disasters on prior year's returns? I saw Rev. Proc. 2016-53, Section 3.02 on the IRS site but am not a tax pro, so it's basically Latin. 

Will Turbo Tax change something in their interface to allow us to make a COVID related loss on 2019 returns? Guidance is appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

We are also waiting for guidance. You can stay up-to-date at Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service.

A disaster is claimed on the same forms every year so I would not anticipate a change to any forms.

See also Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What type of "loss" do you have?

Those things you cited are generally for if you own property that destroyed (such as your house being destroyed by a hurricane).

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Two Code provisions, Sec. 162 and Sec. 165, offer a potential deduction for a taxpayer who has property that has been damaged by a casualty. A taxpayer who uses property in a trade or business may be able to deduct expenses of repairing or restoring property damaged under casualty.

@SGlobo

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies