Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

jgontjes

Contributed $5k to HSA and it shows on my W-2. Form 8889 Line 2 shows $0. Is that correct ? Line 13 shows $0. Thought I could deduct HSA contributions? Thx

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Ashby

The contributions were made with pretax funds and therefore, not deductible.

If all of the HSA contributions were reported on your W-2, then they were made with pre-tax funds and will not show as a deduction on your return.  This is the case whether the employer provided the funds or you provided the funds through payroll deductions. 

Ashby

Is your coverage family or self-only?
jgontjes

Family.  I contributed and the wife didn't contribute
Ashby

And just confirming that you entered $5,000 in the program from your W-2 that was from Box 12/Code W?
jgontjes

yes, in box 12 of the w-2 there is a code w for $5k.
jgontjes

If I understand correctly, the $5k was pre-tax and they already deducted the $5k before taxes were taken out. Correct?
Ashby

That's correct. I answered below. No deduction for pre-tax dollars.
Ashby