Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgontjes
Returning Member

Contributed $5k to HSA and it shows on my W-2. Form 8889 Line 2 shows $0. Is that correct ? Line 13 shows $0. Thought I could deduct HSA contributions? Thx

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Contributed $5k to HSA and it shows on my W-2. Form 8889 Line 2 shows $0. Is that correct ? Line 13 shows $0. Thought I could deduct HSA contributions? Thx

The contributions were made with pretax funds and therefore, not deductible.

If all of the HSA contributions were reported on your W-2, then they were made with pre-tax funds and will not show as a deduction on your return.  This is the case whether the employer provided the funds or you provided the funds through payroll deductions. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Ashby

Is your coverage family or self-only?
jgontjes
Returning Member

Family.  I contributed and the wife didn't contribute
Ashby

And just confirming that you entered $5,000 in the program from your W-2 that was from Box 12/Code W?
jgontjes
Returning Member

yes, in box 12 of the w-2 there is a code w for $5k.
jgontjes
Returning Member

If I understand correctly, the $5k was pre-tax and they already deducted the $5k before taxes were taken out. Correct?
Ashby

That's correct. I answered below. No deduction for pre-tax dollars.
Ashby

The contributions were made with pretax funds and therefore, not deductible.

If all of the HSA contributions were reported on your W-2, then they were made with pre-tax funds and will not show as a deduction on your return.  This is the case whether the employer provided the funds or you provided the funds through payroll deductions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies