Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

laura7

Claiming child care expenses on my tax return for expenses in excess of the amount reimbursed by my FSA?

We had about $6,500 in childcare expenses for two children in 2018. We spent $5,000 from a dependent care FSA. ls it correct that we can claim $1,000 of our childcare expenses on our taxes? If so, can I just provide information on my return the $1,000 in expenses? Our FSA administrator launched a new website, and I cannot figure out exactly what childcare expenses were reimbursed, but I can come up with $1,000 in expenses that I am certain were not reimbursed. I'm thinking that must be OK.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Claiming child care expenses on my tax return for expenses in excess of the amount reimbursed by my FSA?

Yes. The limit is $6,000 for two children. If you incurred $$6,500 and $5,000 was covered by your FSA, you still have $1000 of expenses to claim.

laura7

I still don't know how to enter the expenses. I entered $1,050 worth of expenses, and it said that we are getting no benefit from this deduction. I changed the amount to $6,000, and our taxes went down. I am wondering if I have to include all our childcare expenses for the year, or just the part that was not reimbursed.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, the program will see the FSA amount from your W-2.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies