Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child Tax Credit

So I just I just received $550 for my 2 kids 6 & 3 , I want to know how this affects my wife and I when we file for taxes next year ? someone told me one can opt out of the payments and receive a lump sum at the end of the year, if so how much is this lump sum and lastly, are there any penalties with these payments ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Child Tax Credit

Hi DeltaOgwu,

The $550 payments are a portion of the Child Tax Credit the IRS expects you to qualify for on your 2021 tax return.

If you opt out of the payments, you would receive the amounts when you file your 2021 return.

The total amount you are eligible to receive does not change either way. It is just a question of timing whether you would prefer to receive the funds now or later.

There would not be a penalty associated with the payments. However, if you receive advance payments in excess of what you qualify for (this could happen, for example, due to a significant increase in income between 2020 and 2021), you could be required to repay a portion of the advance payments.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Child Tax Credit

Hi DeltaOgwu,

The $550 payments are a portion of the Child Tax Credit the IRS expects you to qualify for on your 2021 tax return.

If you opt out of the payments, you would receive the amounts when you file your 2021 return.

The total amount you are eligible to receive does not change either way. It is just a question of timing whether you would prefer to receive the funds now or later.

There would not be a penalty associated with the payments. However, if you receive advance payments in excess of what you qualify for (this could happen, for example, due to a significant increase in income between 2020 and 2021), you could be required to repay a portion of the advance payments.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies