turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Twright
Returning Member

Child tax credit

I have claimed my girlfriend and her 3 school aged kids past 2 yrs can i get and tax credits fir them like the non family tax credit? I will not be receiving child tax credit because they are nit my kids and she cant because i claimed her 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Child tax credit

If they have lived in your home for the entire year you would be eligible to receive the Other Dependent tax credit of $500 for each non-relative dependent if they meet all the requirements under the Qualifying Relative rules.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household.
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,300 (social security does not count) in 2020
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.
6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

Twright
Returning Member

Child tax credit

How do i claim this credit. I filed my taxes very quickly in the year and already received my payment long time ago so do i need to amend my return and is it the state or federal that pays this out. Also ive been unemployed and drawing unemployment i never received any payment on what i thought they said id not have to pay taxes on and i would be reimbursed for those as well

Child tax credit

@Twright wrote:

How do i claim this credit. I filed my taxes very quickly in the year and already received my payment long time ago so do i need to amend my return and is it the state or federal that pays this out. Also ive been unemployed and drawing unemployment i never received any payment on what i thought they said id not have to pay taxes on and i would be reimbursed for those as well

The Other Dependent tax credit would be included in the federal tax refund you have already received.

If you entered unemployment compensation on your 2020 tax return and filed before the exclusion was available then the IRS will be calculating your tax refund for the exclusion for those that are eligible.  

The IRS started sending refunds in May and will continue the refunds in batches throughout the next several months.

Go to these IRS websites for information -

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-readies-nearly-4-million-refunds-for-unemployment-compensation-over...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs

Child tax credit

Read the long answer below. The short answer is, for the advance tax payments, your girlfriend may be able to enroll her children later this year, and she will need to file a separate tax return in her own name for 2021 starting next January. You should not claim your girlfriend or children as dependents for 2021.

For the 2020 tax return and stimulus payments, your girlfriend probably would’ve received $4900 if she had filed in her name, whereas you received $2000 for claiming them on your return. You will need to file an amended 2020 return to remove the children and the girlfriend, then your girlfriend could file an original return in her name to claim the rebates.   

==========

A child who lives in your home but is not your biological child is not a “qualifying child” dependent in the tax code. They are a “qualifying relative“ dependent, or a “other“ dependent and they qualify for a $500 dependent credit but not the $2000 child tax credit. For 2021, a “qualifying relative“ or “other“ dependent does not qualify for the advance child tax credit or the enhanced $3000 child tax credit.

You will never be able to receive the advance payment for these children, and you will not receive the enhanced child tax credit if you claim them as dependents on your 2021 tax return.

For 2021, your girlfriend will want to file a tax return in her own name even if she has no income. If she files in her own name and claims her three children as dependents, she would qualify for a $3000 tax credit for each dependent and probably a $1400 stimulus payment for each dependent plus herself.  Then you would file your 2021 tax return with no dependents.  

The next question is whether your girlfriend could enroll to start getting the advanced tax credit payments early. The IRS has said that they will create a website by the end of the summer where parents who are not already getting the advance payments can enroll. But that website is not ready yet.  The advance payments don’t change the amount of the tax credit, only when it is paid. If your girlfriend is not able to enroll, or if she enrolls late and only gets part of the advance payments, she would get the remainder of the amount as a tax refund when she files her tax return.

Going back to 2020, it was a mistake for you to claim your girlfriend and her children as dependents on your 2020 tax return. This is because of the way the coronavirus stimulus payments worked.

In the past before COVID-19, it was perfectly reasonable for you to claim your girlfriend and her children as dependents.  This is because, even though you would only get a $500 credit for “other“ dependent, your girlfriend would get no credits if she did not earn income from working.

However, for 2020, if your girlfriend filed in her own name with her children as dependents, even though she did not work, she would be eligible for $1800 of round 1 and round 2 stimulus payment for herself and $1100 round 1 and round 2 payment for each child.  Meanwhile, if you had left your girlfriend and children off of your tax return, you would have lost $2000, which is much less than your girlfriend would have gotten by claiming the stimulus payments.

For 2020, you will probably want to file an amended return in your name to remove your girlfriend and all the children as dependents. You will have to repay the $2000 tax credits that you received. Then, your girlfriend can file a new 2020 tax return in her own name even if she had no income. She would claim her children as dependents and she would qualify for, I think, $4900 in economic recovery rebates.  Because you have already filed a 2020 tax return and claimed of the girlfriend and her children as dependents, she would have to file her original return by mail. Because the IRS is so backlogged, it may be quite a while before she actually sees that money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies