Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Child tax credit

My husband and I have two daughter 14 and 16. We are both disabled. We filed for 2020 already. We did not get the child tax credit and wamt to know why?

2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Child tax credit

Hi, @Puanani40! You are able to receive the child tax credit if you have qualifying children and if you are disabled.  A qualifying child for the child tax credit is as follows:

  • Be under 17 at the end of the tax year.
  • Meet the relationship and residency tests for uniform definition of a qualifying child, see the Child-Related Tax Benefits Comparison Chart.
  • Not provide more than half of his or her own support for the tax year
  • Have lived with you for more than half the tax year (see Publication 972 PDF, Child Tax Credit, for exceptions for birth or death during the year, temporary absences, kidnapped or missing or children of divorced or separated parents)
  • Be claimed as a dependent on your return
  • Not file a joint return for the year (or filed the joint return only to claim a refund of taxes withheld or estimated taxes)
  • Be U.S. citizen, U.S. National or a U.S. resident alien. For more information see Publication 519 PDF, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
  • Must have a Social Security Number issued by the Social Security Administration before the due date of your tax return (including extensions).


You will want to review your 2020 tax return to check if you answered all the questions correctly regarding your dependents.  One common mistake that I've seen is checking the box under the social security number of the child indicating that the social security number is not valid for employment.  Note that unless this is specified on the social security card, this box should remain unchecked.  If you find there is an error, you will need to amend your return. 

Instructions to Amend using Turbotax Online:

1. Sign in to your Turbotax account

2. On the Tax Home Screen scroll down to your 2020 Return information. 

3. Under the 2020 return information, there should be an option to Amend/Change the Return.  Click that option and click Amend using Turbotax Online.  

4. Turbotax Online will ask why you are amending.  You can explain you are amending to add the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

5.  The Amend Screen will include your income, deductions, and credits.   You will want to scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "continue."  One of the next few screens should ask if you received the total stimulus payments you should have based on your income/dependents.  The Turbotax Online program calculates the amounts based on your income/dependents.  You will select "No", and enter the amounts you actually received.   If the amounts you entered are less than what you should have received, Turbotax Online will add the Recovery Rebate credit in the amount that you should have received.  


How to Amend using Turbotax Desktop: 


1.  Open the 2020 Turbotax Desktop Program.

2.  On the first Desktop Screen, you will select "Amend a Filed Return."

3.  You will want to amend the 2020 return that was filed.  


@Puanani40 Feel free to contact us if you need assistance.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Child tax credit

You will probably need to receive the payments in 2022 when you file your 2021 tax return. I would still try the IRS website to see if you are able to update your record.


Here is the link to the IRS portal:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies