Child tax credit

Child tax credit

I didn’t receive child tax credit for my oldest child this year. He’s 17, still lives at home and receives the majority of his support from me. He works a part time job and filed his own taxes, after I filed mine, but according to what I’ve read, I should’ve been able to receive that tax credit. I also did not receive credit for him in the tax stimulus deposit. How do I figure out why this happened? 

Child tax credit

To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, your child must be under age 17 at the end of 2019

Even if your child does not qualify for the Child Tax Credit, the child may qualify for the $500 Credit for Other Dependents, if you income does not exceed the limits and you owe taxes to which the credit can be applied.

Dependent children over age 16 at the end of 2019 are not eligible for the $500 dependent stimulus payment under the current law.

Child tax credit

Thank you, David. He turned 17 in July 2019, so it seems I am unable to claim him for child tax credit and he is most likely ineligible for the stimulus payment as well