turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and I both list Missouri as our home of record but we were stationed in NY, when I try to file it says we have different residency statuses. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband and I both list Missouri as our home of record but we were stationed in NY, when I try to file it says we have different residency statuses. Why?

Check the information on the " My Info " page.

I suspect that for one of you, you indicated that you "Moved" to NY, or indicated that one of you was a NY resident in 2018.

When both spouses in a military family are claiming the same HOR state.....then they are both residents of that state for the whole year and never "move".  So you need to make sure that both of you are listed as MO residents for the year.....all year.

The mailing address doesn't impact that. so that can be your NY address.

1)  IF the civilian spouse didn't work in NY, or worked a NY W-2 job in which no NY taxes were withheld because the proper forms were given to the employer to claim MO residency....then No NY Nonresident return is needed.  (At the bottom of the My Info page you do NOT indicate you worked in NY in this case...it is treated as MO income)

2) If the military person, worked an off-duty civilian job in NY, or if either spouse worked as a self-employed person in NY, then a NY non-resident tax return is required for that income.

3) If the couple owned a rental property in NY, that the receive income from, then a NY non-resident tax return is required for that income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Check the information on the " My Info " page.

I suspect that for one of you, you indicated that you "Moved" to NY, or indicated that one of you was a NY resident in 2018.

When both spouses in a military family are claiming the same HOR state.....then they are both residents of that state for the whole year and never "move".  So you need to make sure that both of you are listed as MO residents for the year.....all year.

The mailing address doesn't impact that. so that can be your NY address.

1)  IF the civilian spouse didn't work in NY, or worked a NY W-2 job in which no NY taxes were withheld because the proper forms were given to the employer to claim MO residency....then No NY Nonresident return is needed.  (At the bottom of the My Info page you do NOT indicate you worked in NY in this case...it is treated as MO income)

2) If the military person, worked an off-duty civilian job in NY, or if either spouse worked as a self-employed person in NY, then a NY non-resident tax return is required for that income.

3) If the couple owned a rental property in NY, that the receive income from, then a NY non-resident tax return is required for that income.

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies