• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
margaretta003

Car maker compensated me money due to multiple repairs on my vehicle-do I declare this

my brand new car was towed 4x times, the car maker compensated me a portion of my payments-$8,500 do I declare this on my taxes?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Car maker compensated me money due to multiple repairs on my vehicle-do I declare this

A partial refund of car payments that you made is not taxable income.  That's because you've already paid taxes on that money.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Critter
Level 15

Did they send you a tax reporting form 1099-misc ?    And if they did what box is the amount in ?
margaretta003

They did not
Critter
Level 15

If they do not send a tax reporting form then you don't need to file it ... if this is for 2017 then i would ask them if they will send a form.
TomD8
Level 15

A partial refund of car payments that you made is not taxable income.  That's because you've already paid taxes on that money.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v