turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Loss Carry Over

I had an accountant prepare my taxes 2019.

I sold a house in 8/13/2018 for a loss of $19,050. He completed  the Schedule 1 and D forms to claim the $3000 loss for 2018.

Do I enter $16,050 in the Long Term Capital Loss Carry Over in Turbo Tax 2019?

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Capital Loss Carry Over

That's not necessarily the correct amount of your capital loss carryover. In the Search box in TurboTax, type "capital loss carryover" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to capital loss carryover."

The first screen asks whether you have investment losses that you couldn't claim in 2018. Click Yes.

The next screen asks whether you know your capital loss carryover amounts. Select "No, I need help figuring out my capital loss carryover amounts." Then click Continue.

TurboTax will then ask you to enter the information from your 2018 tax return that is needed to calculate the correct capital loss carryover.

I hope that the house you sold was an investment, not your personal home. You cannot claim a loss on your personal home.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Capital Loss Carry Over

That's not necessarily the correct amount of your capital loss carryover. In the Search box in TurboTax, type "capital loss carryover" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to capital loss carryover."

The first screen asks whether you have investment losses that you couldn't claim in 2018. Click Yes.

The next screen asks whether you know your capital loss carryover amounts. Select "No, I need help figuring out my capital loss carryover amounts." Then click Continue.

TurboTax will then ask you to enter the information from your 2018 tax return that is needed to calculate the correct capital loss carryover.

I hope that the house you sold was an investment, not your personal home. You cannot claim a loss on your personal home.

Carl
Level 15

Capital Loss Carry Over

Was the home you sold a rental property? This matters, because losses on the sale of personal property are not deductible, and never have been. I suspect it is a rental property. But you need to confirm it so we both know for an absolute fact that your accountant did not deduct a loss you are not allowed to take.

Capital Loss Carry Over

Champ,

Thank you for your reply.

The property was not my primary home.

I knew my carryover amount which I entered in the long-term line.

Thanks again,

Ed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies