turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Canada rental property where to report to get tax credit for tax paid on Canadian rental property?

I paid Canadian tax for my Canadian rental property.  Where do i go to claim credit for my tax paid in Canada so I won't be double paying tax in Canada and US.  Turbo tax keep asking about 1099!?! which I have done and cannot move forward!?!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Canada rental property where to report to get tax credit for tax paid on Canadian rental property?

It depends. First enter your Canadian Income by:

1. In TurboTax, go to federal>wages and income>Rentals, Royalties, and Farm>show more
  2. Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)>start or revisit
  3. Completely enter your rental information regarding your Canadian rental. Don't worry about entering a 1099 if you don't have anything to enter. You can enter your information here without it.
  4. Now go to federal>deductions and credits>estimates and other taxes paid>foreign tax credit>start
  5. Start entering the information here.  if you get stuck on a question, don't hesitate to write back.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Dave!  Will try this out!

Should I enter the foreign tax paid  for property rental under Passive category income or General category income?  

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You should categorize it under Passive Income.   After entering information under Rental section, continue to go through the foreign tax credit section to complete the transaction.  Here are the steps:

Here are the steps: 

• Open up your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign tax credit" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign tax credit
  • Follow prompts

If you pay taxes on your rental to both Canadian and US government, the IRS allows you to claim a foreign tax credit on your Form 1040.  It will show on Schedule 3 line 1 and line 20 on Form 1040.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies