gphiver

Can you tell me how I need to file? I started a new job with the department of defense, February 2019. They moved me to Garmisch Germany. Thanks

You will receive a W-2 for your 2019 income.  Enter the W-2 as received.  

Moving expenses are no longer deductible on a federal tax return unless you are Active Military on Permanent Change of Station orders.

Since you are an employee of the US Government you are not eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

You can start your tax return using the TurboTax Free online edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

If you enter tax data not supported by the Free edition then you will have to upgrade to the Deluxe online edition or higher.

A tax return can be e-filed from anywhere in the world with an internet connection using TurboTax.

To purchase any TurobTax product on the TurboTax website you will need a US credit card with a US billing address or if you are receiving a federal tax refund, use the pay with refund option ($39.99 service charge)

A tax refund can only be direct deposited into a US bank located in the US.

gphiver

Thank you. Can you tell me how RITA works and what I need to do with it?

@gphiver wrote:

See this TurboTax support FAQ for city tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/returns-and-forms/help/which-city-tax-returns-can-i-do-in-the-turb...

I will page one of our members who is well versed in Ohio tax returns and RITA - @Hal_Al would you care to comment here concerning RITA?

gphiver

Thank you

Hal_Al

Some Ohio Cities have an income tax. Any Ohio city, with an income tax, is allowed to have withholding taken out of your pay while you worked in that city. Your employer is required to do that withholding. You can't get a refund unless it was improperly withheld, i.e. you didn't actually work there for all or part of the time that your employer was withholding.  If you live in a city with an income tax, you are subject to that city's tax as well. The city you live in will usually allow a credit or partial credit for the withheld tax you paid to the work location city.

There are 2 state wide agencies that help Ohio Cities collect City Income taxes. One is CCA (Central Collection Agency) and the other, larger one, is RITA (Regional Income Tax Agency).

If you maintain a residence, in an Ohio City, with an income tax, while working abroad, you are subject to that city's income tax, as well as Ohio state income tax. The state recognizes the federal foreign earned income exclusion, RITA does not. Reference: https://ritaohio.com/Individuals/Faqs?category=I&subcategory=Taxable%20/%20Nontaxable%20Income&quest...