turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kheimes

Can TT show how much of the Standard Deduction amount is used?

Married filing jointly, Standard deduction of $25,300.00.  Can TT display how much of this SD I've used before spending a lot of time inputting charitable deductions?  After inputting my property taxes, TT indicated that SD would be best, but I have approximately $9500.00 of charitable/other expenses that might make using a SD more beneficial?  If I knew an approximate amount of SD that was left, it would make the decision much easier to use or don't use the charitable deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can TT show how much of the Standard Deduction amount is used?

You can only use the Standard Deduction or the Itemized Deduction.  You cannot combine them or mix them.

So, if you are taking the Standard Deduction, you get the Standard Deduction.  There are not any additions or subtractions from this allowed for expenses that you would claim if you took the itemized deduction. When using the standard deduction, you receive no benefit for your property taxes or donations.

Since you have about $9,500 in Charitable/other expenses if you chose to take the Itemized deduction instead you would only get a deduction of $9,500 and the Standard Deduction would not at all be used in calculating your income.

There is an exception to this for some states. Some states will give you a charitable donation deduction if you take the standard deduction on your federal return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies