turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dingodays

Can the IRS mail an EITC check to a foreign country that I am currently living in?

I lived in the USA more than nine months last year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

Can the IRS mail an EITC check to a foreign country that I am currently living in?

The IRS can mail a check to your foreign address, but it does not make direct deposits into foreign bank accounts. In the File section of TurboTax, indicate that you want a refund check, not a direct deposit into your bank account.  

Please ensure that you have entered your foreign address in the Personal Info section of the program properly.  In the Mailing Address section, you should have used the option for "Foreign country", instead of the default "U.S. address".  The IRS will send the check to the foreign address which you have entered.  The check from the IRS will be drawn from the U.S. Treasury, so you will need to ensure that your bank will accept a check from the U.S. Treasury, denominated in U.S. Dollars.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnR1

The IRS can mail a check to your foreign address, but it does not make direct deposits into foreign bank accounts. In the File section of TurboTax, indicate that you want a refund check, not a direct deposit into your bank account.  

Please ensure that you have entered your foreign address in the Personal Info section of the program properly.  In the Mailing Address section, you should have used the option for "Foreign country", instead of the default "U.S. address".  The IRS will send the check to the foreign address which you have entered.  The check from the IRS will be drawn from the U.S. Treasury, so you will need to ensure that your bank will accept a check from the U.S. Treasury, denominated in U.S. Dollars.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies