ml83

Can I take the home office deduction? I'm living with my parents but am paying rent to stay here. I am self-employed and use one room of the house solely to work.

CarolynM

Yes, you may take the home office deduction because you pay rent for the space and have a designated area used solely for work. See Business Use of Home Office for additional information.

CarolynM

ml83

I take it I would need some form of rent receipt to safely take this deduction? I've only been making direct deposits into my parents' bank account.
CarolynM

Yes. You should get a receipt from your parents.
ml83

Thank you very much for your help.
ParkerSupp

What if you lived with your parent, but didn't pay rent exclusively, instead you paid all utilities. Nothing in the home was your name, but you do have proof of what you paid. Can you claim this still?