turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I take home deductions on sch C that show net loss ? How long can I claim a loss b4 I should stop claiming a home biz? I earned $280 in 2018 but had biz expenses.Thx

I started a home business for a direct sales co.  in Aug 2018.  I bought a business kit with supplies, paid a monthly website fee & had  online advertising expenses.   I earned about $280  for 2018 but  did not receive a 1099.
Can I take  any home deductions that show an overall net loss on Sch C? How long can I claim a loss before I  should stop claiming a home business? Thx
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Can I take home deductions on sch C that show net loss ? How long can I claim a loss b4 I should stop claiming a home biz? I earned $280 in 2018 but had biz expenses.Thx

No, you can't generate a loss with a home office. The IRS expects to see a gain for three out of every five years to show intention to make a profit.

IRC § 183(d) provides a presumption that an activity is engaged in for profit if the activity is profitable for 3 years of a consecutive 5 year period or 2 years of a consecutive 7 year period for activities that consist of breeding, showing, training, or racing horses. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/irc183activitiesnotengagedinforprofit.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies