marybgrace

Can I still take a 2018 carryover credit for installing a heat pump in a prior year?

Cindy0H

Yes, you can use it to reduce your tax liability.

There is an order in which the credits on your tax return are used.  If the preceding credits have reduced your tax bill to zero, then the credits which can be carried forward - such as the Residential Energy Credit - will carry forward to reduce your tax bill in the future.

Cindy0H

marybgrace

Thanks! However when I posted my question this site didn't give me enough space to explain what I really want to know. As I was working on my return, a TT message popped up saying that the renewal of this credit is under consideration by Congress. I'm concerned that if I claim the credit and they don't renew it, I'll have to pay the money back. Can you tell me anything about this?