sspurlo

Can I make vehicle mileage deductions as a 1099 and then again as a work related expense? TT is trying to get me to do this, seems suspect to me.

I have become a 1099 contractor.  I used to do the job as an employee. I entered all of my mileage in the business section of TT home and business 2017.  Now TT wants me to enter mileage in the job related expenses.  This seems like a double deduction to me.  It added quite a bit to my refund, but I think it is incorrect.  Should I delete the job related worksheet now that I am a 1099?

JulieCo

Yes, delete the job-related expenses since you are now a 1099 contractor, as you will only want to enter the vehicle mileage deductions once.  If you had the expenses as job-related one's last year, TurboTax will assume you will have the same type of expenses again and suggest you enter them.

JulieCo