Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

annarupe

Can I get a child care credit for my girlfriends daughter? They are both my dependents and live with me. Ive provided for them both for 3 years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I get a child care credit for my girlfriends daughter? They are both my dependents and live with me. Ive provided for them both for 3 years.

No.    If the child is not your own child the only thing you "get" is a $500 credit for other dependents if you can claim your GF's child.   

Does your GF work?  Why did you need childcare?   If your GF worked and needed childcare so she could work then she should be claiming her child and getting the child-related credits on her own tax return.  If your GF had over $4300 of income in 2020 you cannot claim her as a dependent.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/what-does-financially-support-another-per...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If the child is eligible to be your dependent and lives with you then you can claim child care if otherwise eligible. The problem might be that the mother would have to be working and if she is working and has to pay taxes then the child is her dependent and not yours. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies